· Sadaqah Jariah
o Duas of a righteous offspring
o Acts that continue to benefit people after your death: like digging a well, building a madrasah or a hospital
o Knowledge you passed on
· The impression that you leave behind
o The good or bad opinion that people have of you because of the good/bad you did to them
· The good or bad trends you set:
o From a hadith: Jarîr relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "Whoever initiates a good practice (sunnah hasanah) in Islam and is emulated by others in doing so will get the reward of it and the reward of all those who act upon it without their rewards being diminished in any respect. And whosoever initiates an evil practice (sunnah sayyi'ah) in Islam and is emulated by others will bear the sin of it and the sin of all those who act on it without their burden being diminished in the least. " [Sahîh Muslim: (1017)]
· The steps you take towards Allah: Your footsteps or your petrol bills, such as going or coming from the mosque
· The writing you have left behind: your class notes, your diary, your rants against people
· Calling someone towards a good deed or Islam or driving them away from good or Islam
· People you have influenced (without being aware of it) to do good or bad: your children, their children, your friends and family, your students. Your good or bad vibes, your attitude can inspire or repel people from doing good
· Sometimes you see someone and feel inclined to do good, some people repulse you, some people make you feel happy, some make you feel closer to God, some people seem trustworthy to you, some seem like they will cheat you. While your impression of these people may be wrong, what ultimately matters is the impression they leave on Allah ta'ala through all their actions. What is the impression that you leave on your family and those around you? What is the impression that Allah ta'ala has of you?
It is the aasaar of the Nabi and the sahaba that have reached us all through the generations
Don't think that your book of deeds only has your own deeds, everything you do is influencing someone to do either good or bad. On the Day of Judgement we'll be informed of all the 'aasaar' or impressions we left behind.