Wednesday, December 12, 2012

5 months


Sarah, you turned 5 months old today, alhamdulillah! Can't believe that you're just a month shy of the big 6! Then we can start you on solid food insha'allah, yayy!

Please promise me you'll start sleeping better then! Since we're on that topic, can I say that the last two months have been really tough sleepwise? You wake up a zillion times in the night and in the last few days, your naps have been all over the place!

Last week was very stressful with both of us being down with cold and congestion, then just as I was beginning to make friends with other mommies in the apartment block, you caught conjunctivitis! Latching had also become an issue, so we said goodbye to your best friend, the pacifier. Or MY best friend. So I don't know who it's been more tough on. You cried a lot the first few nights, which almost made me cry too. We regressed back to the bouncer, your mosquito net umbrella broke and the new one is too easy for you to play with, and I'm still wondering what to do about swaddling you. These are such huge issues for me mainly because I'm still trying to figure out how we can sleep better without becoming a snappier, moodier version of myself. I don't think anyone else gets that, except maybe the other moms on my birth board. Sometimes, I wonder if they even should, because then I'm worrying about worrying too much!

Okay so now that we're done with the doom and gloom, there were a number of wonderfully sweet things that happened this month:

#1: It was a dreary Friday morning and I was sitting beside your abbu and you were seated between us on the sofa. You were busy sucking your middle and ring fingers. Your adb (abbudaddybaba) was looking tired so I said he should sleep more during the weekend when you suddenly burst out laughing... And then you kept laughing every few minutes. That was the first and only time so far that we saw you laughing without being provoked. You still haven't told us what the joke was.

#2: At one of your MOTN wakings, I changed your diaper and left your drowsy self on the bed to go wash my hands. When I came back in less than a couple of minutes you were fast asleep, lying on your side, one hand tightly clasped around abd's finger (his hands just happened to be outstretched in your direction). It was so sweet that I didn't dare move you till a few minutes later you rolled onto your back again.

#3: yesterday you and abd made a nice game of bidding him goodbye when he left for office: your abd kept kissing you and you would keep turning your cheek to him and laughing.

Now for some general things:
- you shout for quite a few minutes before falling asleep. This can be very frustrating because you have a really loud voice for such a tiny person and you even do it in the MOTN (all such abbreviations are carryovers from babycenter forums).
- when you're happy and you know, you screech
- you're very distracted during feedings and will frequently look up at me (thank you)
- you often show your enjoyment of something by giving an awfully cute open mouthed smile.
- you sometimes say mmmn when you cry and whisper "ha" for fun
- you can sit for a couple of minutes before toppling over which you find funny
- you give me open mouthed kisses (thank you)
- these days you keep lunging when sitting and flail like superman during tummytime
- you seem to like pooing on your poor abd and once spitup in his hair when he was carrying you around the house on his shoulders (cue open mouthed grin)
- you still can't roll from your back to your tummy
- you can get really mad and shout before you start crying
- your first train rides were mostly uneventful if you ignore the crying spells
- you're the apple of your grand parents' eyes, especially on your abd's side being the first grandchild and all

Your current nicknames: mitthi, giddu, sarahbb, chotib, cutieb, laddub, honeyb (b is a carryover from the ammaarah era), casper (what your adb calls you when you wear your white sleepsuit), choochoo (abd's favourite), pitoli mamma (baba)

I love you sarahbb.

Love,
Mommy

No comments: