Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Pshaw

I'm tired. Between a lot of things I did today, I also finished 'Witness The Night', a novel by debutante Kishwar Desai. It's really strange how I managed to pick up two books and both of them had Sikh protagonists! Both talk about (in different ways and of different times) about the crimes committed against women in India. Both left me with a nervous dread once I was done with them.

The second isn't as well-written as Shauna Singh Baldwin's 'What The Body Remembers'. There are some page passages I just want to gloss over because they seem to be educating non-Indians about Indian practices. How come I never see that in western books? Do they assume we know everything or do they have subtler ways of doing so? 

We went to our favourite Mall on Sunday and decided to rest those achy legs at Odyssey. It's getting so hot here! I picked up a number of books but found Manu Joseph's 'Serious Men' quite riveting. What an art it is to pen descriptions of characters that spring to life without any conscious effort from the reader! I didn't want to buy it because I still have a few new books pending plus the hardcover was pretty expensive at 499, so maybe another day.  

We had dinner at Four Seasons and it was lovely, thanks to both amazing food and interesting conversation. I had Rogan Josh for the first time (at least of what I can remember) and enjoyed it. Their biryani doesn't need any praise. Also, the waiters have finally begun to recognize us! 

I got a "terrific" yesterday and felt good about it, alhamdulillah. I'm dragging myself through a deck today. Sigh.

For anyone who's interested in the pomodoro technique, this site is really fun to use. 

It is now time for the Isha prayer. Sawyu.



No comments: