Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Times are changing

I just got off a call that was between two people in Chennai, one in Dublin who's originally Tanzanian and another in Hong Kong. Half an hour before that, I was talking to another BA in Dublin and a presumably Pakistani BA (going by his name) in London. Between all the Tamil hubbub around me, I had to sort out the Irish, British, American-Hong Kong and the Irish-Tanzanian accents. Not to mention that I sent the meeting invite for the wrong time because I got confused between GMT, IST, Ireland Standard Time (which is essentially the same as GMT--that I only learned yesterday) and HKT.

At my previous job, I used to get confused with the ESTs/CSTs/PSTs and the American accent was sometimes difficult to catch. Now all of that seems so simple!

Yesterday, I was quite happy to have got my own conference code (yeah, roll your eyes) but now I'm wondering how many more invites I'll mess up. And this is not even considering Daylight Savings Time. I used to think GMT was a world standard until I realized even GMT has summer daylight savings time! Thanks to my favourite BA from Chicago, I did go to the World Clock but still got the time wrong. Let's hope things get better with time!

Still (if it isn't obvious), I'm quite enjoying all the accents, especially the British accent (as always). Maybe I should go join a call-center.

Goodbhye.

No comments: