Thursday, June 16, 2011

Dumped

I've been thinking, for more than two weeks now, that I must write about how much more satisfied I am with this job than my previous one. I thought I would mention that it was possibly because of a) lesser workload b) non-crazy deadlines c) I was creating some value that I could identify with d) the lack of cut-throat competition and politics. Or maybe the last one is because I'm in the account-bubble. But what I wanted to say most of all was that it felt better because I felt more indispensable. Not very much so, but just that tiny-weeny bit that's enough to get you through the day.

 

And then my manager called me today and said that my project is ramping down, so they're going to release me from that project considering my billing rate is way higher than the  developers'. There is nothing groundbreaking or fall-in-lovable about my work , but it took me a while to get where I am and it feels like a waste of time. In the meantime, I've started abhorring non-project related work, having got enough of it in the first six months at this job. Now I'm going to have to pick that up again.

 

What feels worse is that until yesterday, despite some mentions of good resource management and cost-cutting, nobody in the project call indicated anything of this sort. My manager seemed to be playing George Clooney from Up In The Air; why couldn't my project manager have given me the bad news?

 

I know that is just the same as being released from a project and I shouldn't feel like I've been fired, but how come it does?
 
Alhamdulillah ala kulli haal.

No comments: