1. Two kinds of news - Naba and Khabar. Naba is a momentous event, that will have a material consequence that will affect you
2. Fihi instead of fee - 'really?!'
3. Mukhtalifoon - Mu means a constant state (of disagreement)
4. Kalla - has to do with 'Stop!' , stop, you're going to find out very soon. It is like saying 'Nonsense!' 'All of you stop talking' (meaning holds if you pause after Kalla), if you don't pause, then it means 'truly', or like 'no, no the reality is very soon they're going to find out'... the 'No, No' is kalla (without a pause)
5. First time you will realize what you're facing is when you're at qiyamah, second time will be in hellfire... for summa kalla sayalamoon (kalla sa ya'lamoon, summa kalla sa ya'lamoon)
6. Rhyme scheme tells you where a paragraph opens or begins
7. Allah starts telling you about his blessings - He starts talking about the things he creates for you to understand how small your abilities are, compared to His. For e.g. talking about the mountains as pegs (You make tents, look at the kinds of pegs I use for my tents)
8. Sina - slumber, Nawm - deep sleep. Subaata - that cuts off. Night cuts you off... from your soul, cuts you off from your daily affairs, you don't exist for those few hours, you're cut off from the world. Foreshadowing of the resurrection... all human beings will be cut off from one another, all relationships will be chopped off...you can't avoid your sleep, you're overwhelmed by it... you think the Hereafter is so impossible, you can't even avoid your sleep.
9. Libasa - garment, night covers you like a blanket, you hide under the night. It's a cover on you that you're not capable of taking off. The night has overcome everyone, has manifested over you. An example of Allah's creation overpowering all his creation.
10.The day is ma'ash.... ma'ash - means of livelihood, time of livelihood.
11. Fauqakum - constructed above you. Compare human construction with Allah's seven heavens. Allah is putting the human being in his place pointing out that the human being has no reason to scoff at the hearafter.
12. Siraj - that emits light, shining and blazing. Wahhaj again highlights dazzling, an illustration of Allah ta'alas power by creating the sun
13. Asarah - to squeeze. Winds squeeze the clouds and it rains. Or clouds that are so full that they can't hold any more water and it rains. Hajjaj - heavy or profuse. Human beings are overpowered by floods or by droughts... Allah ta'ala is again illustrating his power over the human being.
14. Habban - wheat, grains, Nabata - vegetables. Jannaat - lush gardens, Lafeef - wrapped around, Alfaf - intertwined plants, lush full with intertwined plants, can't tell where one plant begins another ends.
15. Now that the human being is put in his place, Allah ta'ala goes back to discussing the DoJ. Yaumul fasl - the day of separation or the day of separation of truth from falsehood. Followers will be separated from their leaders, a tyrant will be separated from his power, separated from their families...most graphic description - mother will be separated from her child...
16. This day of parting, of clear distinction has already been appointed, it's like clockwork. Just like the night and day, the pairs of man and wife, just like you expect the day to turn into the night, expect the hereafter, the hereafter HAS to come, it will come. Human being you better realize you're marching towards your Lord, minute by minute, second by second, whether you realize it or not, you're moving in that direction.